9.30.2009

September Project #2

A few months ago I fell in love with some hand-cut paper art by a lady named Julene. This woman is wonderfully talented, and her artwork is to die for, so, naturally, I wanted something created for us!

So I consulted her, but with the realization that she lives in Europe and it wasn't in the budget at the time, I decided to try it myself. Now trust me when I say ours is nowhere as refined or as detailed as hers, but it is perfect for our home. And after doing just one, I have a new respect for how talented she is, and would really suggest anyone who is interested to check out Julene's website and purchase some lovely paper-cuts from her.



The quote: "We finally chose to walk like giants" is from Brian Andreas, who is another artist/writer that we love. The full quote is:

"In those days, we finally chose to walk like giants & hold the world in arms grown strong with love & there may be many things we forget in the days to come, but this will not be one of them."

We searched for a quote that resonated with us, and turned to our Story People books and found this one straight away. I sketched out the design and Jacob cut it out. It was originally meant as a gift to one another for our 1 year anniversary, since paper is the traditionally gift for 1 year. A bit late on the finishing, but it has the same heart behind it.

It still lacks a bit of polishing and fine-tuning, but in it's almost-completed-stage, I think this little baby isn't half bad for a Made-by-Julene knock-off!

Note: We used watercolor paper, which is a tad too thick. If we do this again we'll use thinner paper. To cut it we used a very, very sharp exacto knife and change the blade regularly.
:::

3 comments:

kd-m said...

oooo! love it! it looks really great, now I want to try!

Emily said...

i want to try this too!! there was a woman at the tallahassee farmer's market downtown who sold extremely intricate paper cutouts...but she used itty bitty scissors...instead of a razor. she did huge 8x10 pieces that looked like she'd sketched it with a pencil the lines were so thin...just amazing...i think your first one turned out wonderful!! what did you guys use?

Anonymous said...

We used watercolor paper, which is a tad thick, I think if we do this again we'll probably use thinner paper.

To cut it we used a very, very sharp exacto knife and change the blade regularly. I think we used about 5 blades over the course of the entire cut out.

It was very fun!